EI know why ladies like simple borders. They frame the quilt nicely and they are quick. I was working on a complex one for a good portion of three days! They take time. For this one I even had the HST made when I started. I sure spent a lot of time measuring.
And that is why the quilt found a hiding spot for several weeks. When I put the quilt on the design wall there were bubbles in the corners after the first two borders. I took out seams and reduced some seam allowances to 1/8″. Then I layed the quilt flat on the table and saturated the corners with Magic Sizing. One by one, I pressed them flat and let them cool down. When I measured the recommended three times, the middle was one inch longer than the sides! I have never been that far off! I really worked the numbers as I added the last three borders. When all pressed out, it layed flat on the wall! Yea!
It has now been delivered to a new (to me) long armer. When I took another look at the picture of the original quilt. I could see a lot of the quilting and we will try to reproduce it also.
Irons might not be an interesting topic, but we all want to work with a great one. A few years ago I bought a real pricey one at a quilt show. It is like an old fashioned pressure cooker when it comes to steam. I love it! They were real helpful when I called that I was loosing steam and sent me a new knob. Lately the handle was so hot, that I was using a pot holder. I got out Gorilla Glue and sealed all the seams. It is working much better now.
I did decide to purchase a back-up iron. I really like Shark’s vacuum products so I decided to try their iron for about $30. I have been really impressed. It can also produce a lot of steam. Enough of my iron evaluations.
My son-in-law wrote a book about raising boys. His wife, my daughter, made a banner using a quote from the book. It can even work for quilt making! I know my border provided me with a challenge and making it made me realize my weaknesses!