I have a quilt top finished and am having fun planning the quilting. Before I get to start something new, I am forcing myself to finish some things. Starting on the piles was not fun. But once I got going it gave me some satisfaction to move them out of the sewing room.
I am sure I have shown you progress on this quilt. But now the borders are on and the small diamonds are appliquéd in place. I even have a quilter lined up. She is willing to take on a challenge for me. I traced the faces of the animals in the borders. Then I took them to a copy store and enlarged them.
The plan is to mark the white areas of the quilt with these faces and the long arm gal is willing to try to quilt on the markings. I think they could be attached to one another with leaves just like in the border fabric. It will be a fun experiment.
Before I move on to other fun experiments I am forcing myself to clean up some piles. The first one was one on the floor. It had gotten demoted from a table top. It was on the floor and not even in a cute basket. First was the leftovers from a baby quilt made in the spring. I knew I had enough for a little pillow case to match the quilt. Once it was done, I worked the scraps into a second one.
Under this fabric were two pillow tops from Valentine’s Day. The more I thought about them while working on them, it was Valentines 2012! The two I had finished in 2012, I had added batting and did some quilting to the top before putting the pillow cover together. Not this time. It was get-r-done! I know two college girls who might enjoy them Valentines 2014! They are now in my gift drawer.
Next I move to the table top and its pile. This pile was topped with some mending. My mom had made this apron for me when I was little. It has been fun to have my grandchildren use it. The fabric is well worn and had a tear in it. As I still have little people, it was worth mending after a year at rest. I ironed on interfacing and zig-zagged over the tear. I like this pattern: one piece of fabric!
This was my mother-in-laws apron from her childhood. Isn’t it cute that they both have decorative pockets. The grandkids always notice them. This one also had a long tear. I am going to show the back so you can see the easy construction of this one.
I think I will get out a newspaper and trace both patterns just like in the old days!
Next comes a Christmas decoration from an unknown Christmas season, maybe four years ago. All that was needed on this project was attaching the two layers of felt with the button hole stitch. Okay the outer border is off centered, but it is finished!
The last item in this pile is the shabby doll clothes for two German dolls I purchased at a flea market 2 years ago. The dolls have been in the store room all this time waiting patiently! Once I got going on it, it was fun. After the two neck scarves and the apron, I added lace to the blouse cuffs and suspenders to the boys outfit. They are ready to be displayed!
There is one more pile that I tackled and I will spare you from pictures. This was hidden under the sewing machine table. This stack nicely keeps the foot peddle in position. I am not sure how many winters my husband has been without the two work shirts. One now has all the button on it again. The other one has a seam mended. I finished off a needle by also mending a pair of work jeans for him. It is all back in his closet and I am waiting for his shock to find them there.
I am so thankful that this much of my odds and ends got finished! I am also glad that I wrote this blog this morning. In todays mail came two new books! Excitement! These books are sorta hard to find. I found mine at thequiltmerchant.com So now I am dreaming of all the new quilts I want to start!