Month two of goal setting blocks is done! And I am very happy with the Christmas blocks.
The star blocks really put spunk in this project as the January blocks were rather ordinary.
For the other Christmas blocks, January was the more striking block, and I maybe am not has happy with my February background choice, but there are many more blocks in this quilt that can have perfect fabric choices.
I have perfected my poka-a-dot block pattern by ellinimating the appliqué part. If you look close you can see a seam in the white ground with blue and black dot fabric. It is amazing how we have learned so many techniques and fun when we implement them into another project. I am thinking that the pale pink frame is too pale. Is it pale enough to do the curved seam again?
As for the house project of the month…..
My self imposed rule was that I just had to start it. I started removing the stuffing from the old chair cushion. I have a fabric plan for the new chair cushion. Is that enough of a start? Instead I really wanted to play with a pattern I purchased a couple years ago. It is a Sue Daley design and Sue makes her home in Australia. She was at market when I had the opportunity to meet her.
She had so many gorgeous designs, I settled for what I thought might be the easiest. I have been wanting to get it ready for the appliqué and I am getting close to that part.
And I also wanted to see if I would like it with a panel I have been saving for something special. I had some of the clamshells in the corners of the center as the pattern has, but was not happy with the look as they seemed to distract the eye from the panel. I am still not positive I am liking the way is it going. But I am loving the diamonds and was so surprised how easy they were. I am also pleased with the cornerstone I created by paper piecing. I just did not have the perfect fabric to do the corners like the picture. I will now move on to other things and just study this project for a while.
My move on should be to do binding and winter is a great time to have a quilt on your lap all evening. The machine part is just such a pain to do first. On the quilt above that is needing the binding, I tried to zoom in so that you could see the edge to edge quilting. It is very appropriate for this scrap quilt.
The other quilt that just arrived back is above. I had asked for custom quilting as it will hang on a wall in my home. We each have to determine when we want to spend the big dollars on the quilting. I am very happy with the work done on it. I had recently read that various sized pebbles is an interesting background. Mine got some swirls also!
I just love the above note found on an antique quilt! TWENTY YEARS! My quilt above was a block of the month quilt a number of years ago. I was surprised when I discovered it partly done. I had completely forgotten it. Then I saw a price ticket. I knew I had to finish it. I took it to retreat as that is the best place to finish the old projects. This one is at least less than ten years in the making!
Above is the antique quilt made by the three ladies and it was well worth their time.
May you enjoy getting a lot finished or just started in the remainder of this winter. March is almost here!